Thursday 3 November 2011

It's now 4 weeks away from the Iron Man in Busso on 4th December. I've not had anything like the perfect lead-up.  In fact it's been the opposite.  I arrived back in Sydney two weeks ago from Vancouver and Florida and prior to that had one week at home following a work trip to England and Switzerland, which followed a trip a few weeks prior to that to England and Europe. It's been a busy year.  I've managed to do a bit of running while away, a couple of swims and one ride. Not what I'd call a solid training regime.

Nonetheless the day I got back to Sydney (two weeks back), I did a two lap swim of Bondi with Enda, then the next day did a 10km run with Gene and Ange and on the Monday started riding again.  I've ridden to work most days for the last two weeks by heading out to LaPa and turning it into a 50km ride on the way to work, getting into the office at about 7.30am and then finishing the day off with a 20km pedal through Centennial Park on the ride home. Last Saturday I did a 150km ride which took me 5 and a half hours (slow as a wet week). I left home at 4.45am. The girls did a boot camp session at Bronte while I was out cycling and Gene cooked me a great scrambled-egg dish when I got home. I then did a 2km swim on the Sunday and have been riding every morning this week, heading out early and getting about 50kms done most mornings.  Yesterday I managed an early swim (1.5kms) and a 40km ride prior to work. Today was raining so I got a ride to the Junction with Gene and Ange and caught the train to work then ended up at Crystal's for a deep tissue massage which was great.

I plan a swim with Enda and POD in the morning then a ride to work and on Saturday morning I'll do a 2km swim followed by another long ride of 160km to see how it feels after the swim.  On Sunday morning the Rebel Fun4Fun 10km is on at Olympic Park which should be a good little work out.

I'm happy enough to do the IM and am actually looking forward to it as an experience, with a couple of caveats:  I've been experiencing a sharp pain in my right shoulder after about 2 hours on the bike so am working on that and I've done almost no running at all with the gammy right knee.  Running a marathon without any distance training is going to be a deal, especially after a 3.8km swim and a 180km ride in the WA heat. Still it's on the way. All the above guff about not time to train is just that.  My aim is to try and do the IM in under 14 hours. Let's see how we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment