Thursday 30 June 2011

The weird and wonderful world of work

My parents weren't millionaires.  So like my brothers and sisters I had to get a job. I've been working now for 36 years. And 36 years after starting work, I spend a good number of my days with other people in their jobs; other people who go to work, but hate the people they work with. People at work and in conflict. It's never dull.  This week was no exception. I was working with a group of scientists. A brilliant group without a doubt. But in the group were a couple of quite extraordinary individuals. Extraordinary in their lack of insight into how their behaviour affects others. Some comments by their colleagues made to me in private, reveal the effect they have on others:
  • "Mary is like a Queen Wasp who has her own territory and defends it ferociously. Don't know if you've ever been stung by a wasp, but I have (both at work and at home) and I can assure you it's not pleasant!"
  • "Tania exudes malevolence as she wanders around the lab. It's frightening.  I know she's a woman and I'm a bloke but it's like Mike Tyson on steroids, and the unpredictability makes it scary"
  • "She has a unique talent of honing in on the weaker members of staff and riding them mercilessly until they break. And then she keeps riding them. It's quite extraordinary."

That's a small selection of what people had to say.  I was able to persuade the team to come together and discuss the behaviour.  It was difficult, confronting and exhausting for everyone. We've agreed on a detailed plan to change the behaviours, and a process of accountability and discipline action should this not happen. I'm back there tomorrow to wrap it up and am optimistic that when I return here in 8 weeks time and bring them back together again, we won't hear the words wasp, ferocious, stung, malevolence and merciless again.  I'll let you know if we do.

Last week was a different group with different personalities, issues and conflicts, though similar resentments, certainties and hardened feelings towards each other. Whilst we seem to have little trouble getting into conflict all on our own, we then find it almost impossible to get out of it on our own.

The travel has meant fewer workouts than I'd like.  Last Saturday I went out with the Branagan Brothers, Kev and Marc, with Enda and with big Marc H for a 110km ride down to the National Park & back.  It was a good ride on a perfect day. And if anyone is ever looking for a lead out man in a sprint, I can personally recommend either of the brothers.  They're a great argument for natural talent, coupled with hard work. Happily for me Marc H hadn't ridden for quite some time so he was feeling it and making me look good.  And Enda is always good to ride with as he has a great road sense and looks out for the whole crew on the ride. The boys doing the Land's End to John O'Groats ride (or is it the other way around?) will be well looked after by him.

Then on Sunday I managed a 3.2km swim after lunch and a 6km run with Gene and Ange on Sunday night.  It was my first run for months and felt great.  I went out again tonight after a long day, for a short run and enjoyed it again.  Slow and steady and hopefully I'll stay injury free on the run.  Saw the doc on the knee last week and he suggests it's on the mend.

Sunday is the Gold Coast Marathon and Gene and Ange are both running in the big one. And they've both been unwell last week and this week so as luck would have it they're not 100%.  Not sure if Ange will be well enough to run, but we're pretty confident that Gene will be.  Here's hoping they're both at the start come Sunday morning.  On top of that Enda is running the Half and so is Laura, so a big day for those two as well.

I'll be up and out for an early run in the morning and once I'm done for the day, I'll find a pool and do a couple of kms in the water.  Then its off to the airport to collect the team of athletes and settle in for the big day on Sunday.  Will let you know how the team perform. 

My diary tells me I've got 22 weeks until the Busso Iron Man.  I have a feeling that's going to come around quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment