Wednesday 24 November 2010

Kids on the beach

It's Wednesday night, 24th November.  It was a beautiful day. I started with an early swim at 5.30am & the water felt a little cooler than earlier in the week, but I managed to swim a lap & a half of the beach. Happily there's no need to wear a wettie anymore, with the water hitting 19C & slowly creeping up. Gene met me down there with her brother Rob who is in town with the family & camping at our place. The week has been a good one for exercise: a 60km ride on Saturday; a 10km run in the heat on Sunday 'avo (it was slow); a swim on Monday morning; track on Tuesday night (Gene gave it a miss though she did spend over an hour on the bike); the morning swim today & a soft sand run tomorrow morning.

We managed to finish the day with a walk along the beach.  While we were sitting chatting about the day, Gene noticed a woman close by with two kids & remarked that one of them was disabled.  Being curious I couldn't help saying hi as we walked back past her. It turns out the little blokes are 4 year old twin brothers & both are severally disabled from a chromosome malfunction that has left them with all sorts of challenges. The boys names are Lev & Dov as I recall & they are the sweetest little guys. We sat with the woman who was their nanny (she was lovely) & I got to sit Lev on my lap while we chatted. It reminded me of holding Gabrielle & felt instantly familiar & comfortable. He had really poor tone like Gabrielle. He couldn't talk like Gabrielle.  They were both full of personality like Gabrielle.  And lots of other similarities & of course lots of differences. It was a blast. I could have sat holding him all night. I'd love to have been able to take them home. Here's wishing them, their 6 year old sister, their Mum & Dad & their nanny all the best. I'll be looking out for them from now on in.

As we walked home we chatted about Gabrielle & the young blokes. It was a great way to finish the day. That's the day.  We did go to work as well by the way, but that's another story & not for here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment